Aug 25, 2011

So, what did you do in school today?

First Day of School- Check out those new shoes!
PTA

The other night, I rushed to make dinner, woke Joseph up to watch the boys and headed to my PTA meeting 15 minutes late, and guess what- it had been cancelled. Go figure.


I worked out, though. I needed to go to the grocery store, and since our car is acting up and I can't fit both boys in the truck, the cancelled meeting provided a good opportunity for me to go to the store by myself.

This leads me to the reason the PTA meeting was cancelled. The whole school had to be evacuated Tuesday afternoon due to a possible gas leak, which turned out to be nothing. Austin said they all went out to the field behind the school. He also mentioned something about seeing a helicopter, though I'm not sure what that was all about. I guess there were some men working on the roof of the building, and the chemicals they were using produced a foul smell that school staff thought might possibly indicate a gas leak. It wasn't a gas leak, thankfully, but I'm glad they took precautions. I'm sure the kids enjoyed the diversion at least.

Chinese

Austin finally told me about his Chinese class. He told me a few words, but I have no idea what they mean. Thankfully we have a new neighbor who knows a little Chinese in case I need a translator :) Austin said he really likes learning Chinese, so this should be a fun experience for him. At his age, I'm sure he will just soak it right up. They have class three days a week for about half an hour each time. I found out that Austin's school is 8% Asian as opposed to 1% in other schools. I wonder if they come to Field because of the Chinese or if they started teaching Chinese because of the Asian students- not sure. There is a little Asian girl in his class, though I haven't met her parents yet. So fun.






Walking to School

We've been walking to school more often this week because our car is acting up again. We do have a second vehicle, but it is a small pick-up truck with only room to seat two people. Thankfully, we are only .8 miles from the elementary school, so it hasn't caused a problem for us. David enjoys the walks, and it gives Austin more time to talk about his day on the walk home. Today, I learned that a kid threw up during lunch. (I remember those days? Ugh! Glad it wasn't my kid.) Another girl thought she was sick, but she wasn't. Apparently, she was just a "silly girl." According to Austin, you go to the office if you are bad or if you are sick. I guess lots of kids went to the office today.

Homework

Austin's homework is getting harder! The first two days were a piece of cake. He finished his worksheets in like 30 seconds. The past two days, not so much- more like 20 minutes. These worksheets have covered writing numbers, which we have never done before. Austin has been able to recognize his numbers and letters for several months now, but we haven't really practiced writing them. What makes it hard is that I'm not even sure if he is right or left handed. Joseph is a lefty, and Austin has always been ambidextrous, but we are trying to get him to pick one hand or the other. He's been writing more with his right hand, but certain letters he wants to write with his left hand. Any suggestions??

1 comment:

  1. Dave is like that. He writes right handed but eats & brushes his teeth left handed. I think he really is left handed. Let Austin learn to write with both hands then that way he can finish this homework faster. :-)

    ReplyDelete