I love my car.
My fuel efficient, reliable, petite little Honda Civic. It's a good car, but it is starting to show its age. Nothing major, just little things that start to wear out over time. I can't complain, though. When I got the Civic, it was three years old and had about 30,000 miles on it. That was back in college. Now, it is over eleven years old and has nearly 150,000 miles!
Anyway, to the point-
We've had some car trouble this summer, particularly a problem with the car not starting from time to time. This is problematic in high temperatures when you have two young children. It becomes even more complicated due to the fact that our second vehicle (Joseph's truck) only seats 2 people. Thankfully, the two times I was by myself when it wouldn't start, I was within walking distance of our home.
Well, an intermittent problem like that is hard to diagnose, but I think it is finally fixed after taking it to the shop for the third time. There was a corroded terminal/wire to the battery that was causing all the trouble. We knew it had something to do with the battery wires, starter, selenoid, etc because Joseph could get the car to start every time by wiggling the battery cables. (I was not so mechanically savvy, however and would just walk home when the car died. I did try to wiggle the wires one of the times, but I obviously didn't know the right trick.)
Anyway, I'm glad the car is fixed (for only $30, hurray!), and it will be nice to get back on the road again. I've pretty much stayed at home all summer because of the lack of confidence in my car. The boys and I have missed a good bit of church the past two months because we didn't want to get stranded an hour from home.
We all loaded up in the car this morning excited to get back to church, and guess what happened- Halfway to Frankfort, Austin threw up a bowl of oatmeal and the orange he ate for breakfast. Yuck! Remember in elementary school when someone would throw up in the hallway or the cafeteria and the janitor would spread that funny smelling kitty litter stuff all over the mess? That's what my car smells like now. Either that or a nasty orange air freshener. Ugh!
Well, thankfully, we were still within the Louisville City limits (once you pass that last exit on I-64, there's nowhere to turn around for like 25 miles!) so we turned around and Joseph dropped us off and headed back to Frankfort to preach the AM sermon. So, we missed church again this week :(
Thankfully Austin is feeling much better now, and Joseph watched the boys this evening so I could go to the service at our old church in Louisville. It was so good to be in church after missing for several weeks. Now, hopefully, we will all make it to Frankfort next Sunday!
No comments:
Post a Comment