Sep 13, 2011

End of Year Resolutions

I've never been big on making New Years resolutions.

However,
I do like making lists. There's just something satisfying about organizing my thoughts on a sheet of crisp, clean paper using a sharp pencil or a fancy pen. (anyone else feel this way?) It helps me to organize my thoughts when I write them down on paper.

Last night, I was doing some thinking, and I decided to write down my "End of Year Resolutions." I don't usually make New Years resolutions because they tend to get broken within a few months. However, as I sat on my bed with my new legal pad and sharpened pencil, it occurred to me that making End of Year Resolutions might not be a bad idea. It's a lot easier to have a short-term goal than to have resolutions that may or may not be completed over the course of a year. We've got a little more than three months left this year, so here are some of my goals, nothing crazy, just things I want to be more consistent with:

Goal #1. Get to bed early (ideally by 9:00 p.m. so I can achieve goal #2).

Goal #2. Get up early (around 5:00 a.m. so I can achieve subsequent goals)

Goal #3. Have a daily quiet time (preferably before the boys get up- hence Goal #2)

Goal #4. Exercise regularly (15 minutes a day on the Wii playing Exerbeat- I actually enjoy this. It's just a matter of fitting it in before the boys get up.)

Goal #5. Read Christian non-fiction (A few weeks ago, I finished Radical by David Platt. I think I'm going to try to work through some books that I own but haven't read in awhile. After all, I'm in a different season of life than I was when I was in college or when Joseph was in seminary.)

That's basically it. Nothing glamorous. I guess that's one reason I don't make New Years Resolutions because they are more like on-going resolutions.

Anyway, what kind of End of Resolutions are you going to make for 2011?

No comments:

Post a Comment