May 5, 2011

Resources for Choosing Children's Books (#20-25)

How do I go about picking books to check out from the library?

Sometimes I let Austin pick some off the shelves. (This is usually overwhelming, though, since good books are mixed in with not-so-good books.) More often, I do an online search for books relating to topics that interest him. I also found this PBS website that gives lists of age appropriate books on different topics. Then I see if our library has the book, and I reserve it online. Then the library notifies me when it is ready to be picked up.

The Read Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease highlights some interesting research about the importance of exposing children to WORDS, and lots of them. It also has lists of recommended books in the back, which is a good starting place if you don't know which children's books are classics and which ones are duds.

Mysteries of the Komodo Dragon by Marty Crump (a non-fiction book- very interesting facts and pictures about real "dragons")

Math for All Seasons by Greg Tang (would be great for school aged kids learning to add and subtract)

Madlenka's Dog by Peter Sis (about a girl and her "imaginary" dog- I had an imaginary friend as a girl. Didn't you?)

Moses Goes to a Concert by Isaac Millman (about a class full of deaf children who listen to a concert through its vibrations- easy segway into talking with Austin about those who aren't able to hear)

Top Picks:

Lucy's Picture by Nicola Moon (I actually got teary eyed at the end when I realized that her grandfather was blind. This was a great way to teach Austin about what it means to be blind.)

What a Wonderful World illustrations by Ashley Bryan (the words of Louis Armstrong's famous song put to pictures- beautiful! Shows children of different skin colors.)

The PBS website gave me the option to search for books about people with special needs, which is why we read the books about the blind man and the deaf children. Until I saw those books, I never really thought about teaching Austin about people with special needs. I certainly wouldn't have thought to look for a children's book about it. What great resources to teach children while they are young so these handicaps don't seem so strange to them when they are older.

1 comment:

  1. I requested three books from the library that I found on the PBS site. I'm looking forward to some fresh material to read to Riley! Thanks for the tips on finding books!

    ReplyDelete