I learned something new today.
10! is pronounced "ten factorial" which means 10x9x8x7x6x5x4x3x2x1 =3,628,800
Likewise, 4! would be 4x3x2x1, etc.
Now, I made an A in high school calculus and aced the AP exam, but I don't remember learning about factorials. I'm sure I did at some point, but it was like learning it all afresh today when Austin and I read Anno's Mysterious Multiplying Jar by Masaichiro and Mitsumasa Anno. Such a fun way to teach math! I definitely recommend it.
Cir Cumference and the First Round Table: A Math Adventure by Cindy Neuschwander is another great math story. (about King Arthur and the "round table")
Paul Bunyan, a tall tale retold and illustrated by Steven Kellogg was a fun read as well.
Splash! by Ann Jonas was a simple counting book (appropriate for children learning to count- Austin enjoyed it)
Note about Kindergarten: For those who care enough to read my blog, you will probably be interested to know what we plan on doing for school in the Fall. While it is not carved in stone, we are intending to send Austin to the public school nearest to our home, Field Elementary. It is supposed to be one of the best schools in Louisville, and it has a good principal. We are also happy that the school is only about a mile away- we could walk him to school some days if the weather is nice!
Even though this decision has kept me up at night recently, now that we have a plan, I am relieved and actually excited about sending Austin to school!
Stay tuned to our blog throughout the summer as we read lots of books and start teaching Austin to read.
No comments:
Post a Comment