Oct 21, 2011

Avoiding Blogger's Remorse- On the Topic of Melancholy

I've got an idea for a blog post/series, but I need to be careful so as not to have blogger's remorse once I hit the "Publish" button.

What I mean is this--- It's easy to get carried away with a blog post and write things that you wouldn't normally tell the general public. Granted, you can always delete the post, but with feed readers, etc., you can never totally remove the digital footprint that is made with those words.

My idea relates to the topic of melancholy (aka sadness, depression, gloominess, discouragement, etc).
I am in no way an authority on this issue. I have never taken a counseling course or even seen a counselor for that matter. However, I personally go through cycles of melancholy every few years, and I know that I am not alone in this.

So, the question I am still asking myself is whether I should blog about melancholy. Would that be too personal? I'm not sure yet.

If you are suffering from the disease of melancholy, let me recommend a great resource written 350 or so years ago on this very topic. The language is a little outdated, but the content of this sermon clearly shows that there is nothing new under the sun. People have been suffering from melancholy for many, many years. I found this piece of writing to be very encouraging. If I do decide to continue this blog series, I will likely use quotes from this old sermon.

The Cure of Melancholy and Overmuch Sorrow, by Faith by Richard Baxter.

1 comment:

  1. Go for it! I will read and learn. Thanks for the link by Baxter!

    ReplyDelete