I've been doing a lot of reading about home school curriculum, good books for kids getting ready for kindergarten, etc, and I have come to the realization that I haven't been reading books to Austin like I did when he was younger. With him going to kindergarten in the Fall (at school or at home- to be decided upon very soon), I have decided to challenge myself to read Austin 100 new books by August. That is a little more than one book a day. (The library's summer reading only requires 10 books.)
I'm going to blog about it. Here's what we read yesterday and today:
1. Three in a Balloon by Sarah Wilson ("based upon the true story of the world's first air passengers- a sheep, a duck, and a rooster- who flew over France in a new invention, a Montgolfier hot air balloon, on September 19, 1783)- Austin's story time teacher at the library read this to the class, and Austin asked to check it out. It says it is a true story. Very interesting that they sent farm animals on the first hot air balloon ride!
The following books were recommended by the Well Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical Education at Home by Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise. I checked them out from the library. They all relate to math in some way, as you will see.
2. How Much is a Million? by David M. Schwart ("If you wanted to count from one to one trillion... it would take you almost 200,000 years.")
3. Math Curse by Jon Scieszka and Lane Smith (would be great for when Austin is older- has math puzzles)
4. Pigs will be Pigs: Fun with Math and Money by Amy Axelrod (very cute story about a pig family who has to scrape up enough spare change around the house to go out to eat- would be great for when Austin is learning about money)
5. Divide and Ride by Stuart J. Murphy (an entertaining way to practice division- above Austin's grade level, but still enjoyable for him)
You can pray for us about kindergarten. We will find out for certain what public school Austin is assigned to very soon (maybe tomorrow), and I have been reading up on homeschooling as well. There are pros and cons to both. This is a very hard issue. Any prayers are greatly appreciated!
No comments:
Post a Comment