I've had a productive Saturday so far, and that makes me happy.
Saturdays are usually pretty lame around here as Joseph works Friday nights and usually sleeps for much of the day. I would love to schedule a playdate with friends for every Saturday morning, but that isn't usually possible (since most people hang out with their husbands on Saturdays).
Instead of wasting the day away (waiting for Joseph to wake up), today I got busy cleaning, doing laundry, etc, and now
I feel a great sense of accomplishment.
This reminds me of a quote I once read by Elisabeth Elliot. She is a woman who has experienced great hardship and pain, but instead of laying around feeling depressed, she suggests to do the next thing. That terminology comes from an old poem which you can read below. Also check out this link for an article by Ray Van Neste.
From an old English parsonage down by the sea
There came in the twilight a
message to me;
Its quaint Saxon legend, deeply engraven,
Hath, it seems to
me, teaching from Heaven.
And on through the doors the quiet words
ring
Like a low inspiration: “DOE THE NEXTE THYNGE.”
Many a
questioning, many a fear,
Many a doubt, hath its quieting here.
Moment by
moment, let down from Heaven,
Time, opportunity, and guidance are
given.
Fear not tomorrows, child of the King,
Thrust them
with Jesus, doe the nexte thynge.
Do it immediately, do it with
prayer;
Do it reliantly, casting all care;
Do it with reverence, tracing
His hand
Who placed it before thee with earnest command.
Stayed on
Omnipotence, safe ‘neath His wing,
Leave all results, doe the nexte
thyngeLooking for Jesus, ever serener,
Working or suffering, be
thy demeanor;
In His dear presence, the rest of His calm,
The light of His
countenance be thy psalm,
Strong in His faithfulness, praise and
sing.
Then, as He beckons thee, doe the nexte thynge.
No comments:
Post a Comment