Jan 8, 2011

On Memorizing Scripture

Things that come to mind when I think about memorization:


- all the times I nervously stood in front of the class in grade school and had to recite a piece of poetry.

- all the times I have memorized the Romans Road or other faith sharing plans only to forget the scripture references.
- all the times I have had nightmares where I am in school again, and I forget my locker combination.
- all the times I have memorized phone numbers and addresses only to forget them once they are replaced with new ones.


Can you relate to any of these things?


Now onto the topic of memorizing scripture.


Nobody is going to deny the importance of memorizing scripture. But the traditional way that we are taught to memorize scripture is hard. Take bible drill for example- You recite the scripture reference. Then the verse. Then the reference again. I don't know about you, but the hardest part for me is remembering the scripture references. (I'm not that great at remembering numbers anyways.) Well, I've found a way to memorize scripture that works for me, and I thought I would share it.


Don't memorize single verses. Memorize a whole chapter or better yet, memorize a whole book of the Bible. I just finished memorizing the first chapter of James, and it took less than a month. 

I've found that memorizing larger portions of scripture gives me a sense of accomplishment, and I am able to review the words easier if I don't have to recall a whole list of chapters and numbers. For example, I can't tell you the exact verse number, but I do know that, "..everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry," can be found in chapter one of the book of James. A few years ago, I memorized the book of Philippians, and I know that the passage of scripture that includes, "do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God," is found in the 4th chapter.


If you have a favorite verse, that is a good place to start. Then, start memorizing the verses in front of and behind that verse. Eventually you will have the whole chapter memorized. Then, instead of counting sheep at night, you can review that whole passage of scripture. That is how I came to memorize the book of Philippians. I started with a few verses in chapter one and decided to build on what I had learned. Eventually I had to whole chapter memorized and I decided to keep going. I still have to review Philippians to keep it fresh, but I will never forget it. I wish I could say that about the dozens of random verses I have memorized over the years.


I can't help but think about the book Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. In light of that book, I am proud to say that I am the book of Philippians and the first chapter of James and the first 18 verses of John's gospel. If Bibles are ever scarce or become illegal or I am trapped on a desert island, at least I will have these precious portions of scripture to cling to.

I'm definitely not the first person to come up with this idea. Here is another blog post that has been circulating lately about memorizing scripture.

Blessings,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment